Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Retreated and Refreshed

To say I had a fun weekend with friends would be an understatement. Last weekend rocked! Let's see...I shot a rifle for the first time (and made those little spoon-things spin 5 out of 20 times), I rode a horse through beautiful trails and woods (in the rain, but still loads of fun), and flew down a rip cord that seemed a million miles high, right over a lake (& almost didn't have the courage to jump but succumbed to peer pressure!). We "stopped by" a bar on the way that was packed with men and deer stories (surely we couldn't be lost!), and drove by plenty of McDonalds...oh, wait...I think that was the same McDonalds, just several drive-bys.
It was wonderful to have my food all cooked, no cleaning, no laundry, no taxi-service, no diapers, no sweeping...oh, wait...I did have to sweep once. I love being a wife and mom, but this was a great break. And it was so fun spending the weekend with a group of women...just women hanging out and having fun.
Not only did I have all of these experiences, but even better...I got to spend time listening and returning my focus on our Lord. The speaker took us through the book of Ruth in a way that I had never seen. It was all about getting our lives together. How easy it is to get sidetracked in the hustle and bustle of sports and homeschool and housework. I forget to talk to God. I forget to spend time in prayer, to ask for his guidance, to just be quiet and listen. I forget to read to the kids from the Bible and to help guide them in knowing what's right and what's wrong, not based on what society thinks, but what the Bible says. I forget to put my marriage before all other relationships (except God), and that's a tough one when there are little ones all over the place.
Here are a couple points that really stuck with me:
*Respect others even when you think they don't deserve it.
*Don't engage. In other words, if someone tries to pick a fight (arguement), show grace and let it go.
*Oh, well! Words to live by when the situation is not truly important, anyway.
*Listen. We spend far too much time talking (just look at the length of this post)!
*Read the Bible, even when you're not sure you understand each verse. Read, read, read.
*Journal your thoughts and prayers, and watch how they're answered.

There's so much more, but it's all still mulling around in my head. No doubt, this is not the last retreat I'll be attending. I'll be excited to head out again next fall with the gals!

4 comments:

amyhusted said...

Is there much more to say than this, "TAKE ME WITH YOU!" Glad you had fun and are refreshed. Your blog about your experience is so uplifting and expressive that I feel like part of me was there. (Hint, Hint).

Karin said...

So glad you had such a great time! Thanks for describing it so we can all enjoy it vicariously! :)

Cheryl said...

"Ditto" and "Amen" to what Angie said! Yay! Already looking forward to next year. :-)

Megan said...

Sounds like a great time, Angie! We do need those reminders to refocus ourselves, don't we? Thanks for sharing with us!!

Blessings