Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Nod

Have we hit another milestone with Laura?
Perhaps!!! And this would be very, very cool!!!
You see, Laura is not able to communicate
with words or signs.
She's only able to communicate a couple of needs,
and that's through her own actions that we interpret.
For example, when she doesn't want to eat the
food we're trying to feed her,
she will turn away from it.
Or if she wants a drink, she may reach for
the cup, or just keep moving her head away from
the food until we give her the cup.
Well, last week on vacation, I was sitting on the bed with Laura
watching T.V. and munching popcorn.
I asked Laura, "Do you like eating popcorn with Mommy?"
She looked at me, smiled, and nodded her head.
HUH?
Did she really do that, or was it just a coincidence?
So I repeated myself, and she nodded again.
I thought that was pretty awesome,
but still not sure if she was responding at will,
or if it was just by chance.
Then today I turned on the music on her sit-n-spin.
I asked, "Do you like that music, Laura?"
She looked at me, smiled, and nodded her head.
What a joy it would be to be able to communicate,
even a little bit, with Laura.
To have her be able to nod or shake her head
in response to a question would be nothing
short of a miracle.
We have no idea how much she will ever be able to
communicate, but we'll take whatever she can do!!

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

Praising Him and thanking Him for what most people would take for granted. YAY, God!

Adeye said...

wow, friend...you know that I can soooooo relate! Amazing breakthrough. Just incredible. Faithful God!

Jay and Chandra and Penny Regan said...

So happy for you and Laura!

Nichole and Craig said...

That is great news. She is such a beautiful little girl. I love seeing her with Ruffy.

Megan said...

Way to go, Laura! It must feel SO good to have that connection with her!!

amyhusted said...

Okay, now I have goosebumps. Thanks to God for that little Laura.