Saturday, November 27, 2010

Our Saturday after Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is so much fun, and I'm so glad that we don't ignore it like the retailers do. It's such a meaningful holiday. So now, we can begin to prepare for Christmas!
We have a tradition that we started just last year...so I guess it's a newish tradition, but one nonetheless. On the Saturday evening after Thanksgiving, the kids get into their jammies, we order pizza and watch The Polar Express.

I just love watching the kids' faces during the movie. They are so captivated by the action and animation. Especially when the train goes down that really steep hill...they all squeal and wish they were riding the train!
And there's something about this tradition, and maybe the time of year, that makes me realize that we won't have these evenings forever. Jacob's 10, and though he will be around for a while yet, eventually we'll not all be sitting around, eating pizza and watching The Polar Express on this night. I'm treasuring these traditions with our kids while they last, and hoping that even when they're teens...they'll still want to hang out with us...maybe with their friends, too!

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Glad you are treasuring these times. I am at a place where I am holding those kinds of memories close in my heart, and thankful that, while we are not physically able to continue with those traditions, both my "kids" want to! :) Precious memories you are making, my friend!

Megan said...

Love the traditions! Last year we started a tradition of watching Polar Express on Thanksgiving night after hanging with extended family for the day. WE were so full from the big noon meal, we ate popcorn and gummy bears for our dinner that night! Yeah, I know, no mother of the year award for that one!!