Sunday, January 16, 2011

Chongqing

It’s dinner time in Chongqing. We’re all feeling a bit of jet lag right now. So the tv is on, Char’s watching The Chipmunks movie, we’re downing some coffee, trying to make it to a decent bedtime. Dinner tonight will probably be in the lounge at our hotel.We were up so early this AM, that Jamie and Charlie had time for a swim before we left for the airport.

Then, we had another uneventful flight from Shanghai to Chongqing. We arrived around 4:00 PM in Chongqing…very overcast, hazy, and difficult to see the area. I did see some mountains from the airplane, but not much else. When we landed, the butterflies took over again thinking about becoming a mom again…excited and nervous, knowing that the next day, Jenna would be with us.

The most eventful thing to happen on the flight was a brief conversation I had with a local woman. Her English was quite good, and she had been to North America several times. I think she wanted to practice her English. However, she may have chosen her words a bit more carefully. She was asking about Charlie, of course. And then proceeded to ask if I was his grandma. Really? Again? This is the 2nd time in as many years that I’ve been asked about being a grandma. I really, really need to invest in some good skin products. Any suggestions, friends?

So I humbly walked off the plane, we gathered our luggage, and were met by our guide, David.
We took a van ride to our hotel, and found ourselves feeling like we were now in China. The traffic is insane…automobiles everywhere, driving in no organized manner whatsoever. There are basically no bikes here, though, because it is so hilly. Our guide compared Chongqing to San Francisco with all the ups and downs. And crosswalks? Why bother? No one stops for pedestrians anyway!

Our hotel is great and we have a good size room.
Our guide informed us that tomorrow morning we will meet to fill out paperwork, and then…2PM…we meet Jenna. He laughed, telling us that there will be six families meeting our children…and lots of noise…crying noise! He did tell us that one of the other children is 13 years old. I can’t wait to see this all transpire with the 6 families tomorrow! Stay tuned!

P.S. There will be photos...as soon as I can figure out how to upload them to this computer!

10 comments:

Sugar Momma said...

Yay! It's so close now. :) I don't see the grandmother thing. Maybe she was thinking grand mother as in adoptive mother??

Jean said...

So excited for tomorrow!! Hoping you can download the pics!!

I have never been to Chongqing. I find China fascinating, wonderful and depressing.

Blessings to you dear friend!

Anja said...

Soooooooooooooo glad you posted an update about how you are doing, I was just thinking about you all and how you are doing and that because it is 11 pm here Sunday night it must be VERY close to your appointment to meet Jenna and how exited you must be. All the best for you and your new addition to the family! Can´t wait to see pictures!

Gail and the girls said...

Different cultures view age differently - boy, if that lady met me, Angie, she'd think I was the great-grandma Tee-Heee! Your following God's path and doing it well! Good Luck and God bless on your first meeting.

Jenny said...

Welcome to China friend!! And Grandma?? NO WAY JOSE. I am sorry. That is just wrong. And rude. :P. I cannot wait to see you with your sweet girl!!! : ) We are praying for you all!!

Holly said...

I'm sure she meant Mom not Grandma! :)
So excited for you! so very excited!

Kam said...

Yippee! I'm sitting here with my daughter telling her all about you guys...she thinks Jenna is beautiful! :) Can't wait to see new pictures of her...with YOU!
Hugs~

Chrissy said...

I should have warned you about the smog, since Chongqing is so industrial the pollution is horribe. You will probably not see the sun or sky while you're there. I'm so excited, it's only a few hours, it's almost 10 pm here!

Lori said...

Ugh on the grandma comment. Geesh. Maybe she did mean adoptive mom. Ahem. Yes, let's go with that.

Yay, I'm so excited for you to get your girly!!

cathie said...

How exciting!!! perhaps they all think you are his grandma.. perhaps his mom is from tawain and his dad is caucasion? Who knows what goes through people's heads. In any case, I dont think you look anywhere near old enough to be a grandma.

Pics of Jenna are adorable