Saturday, January 15, 2011


We made it! We arrived after an uneventful flight, direct to Shanghai, on Saturday evening. That would be Saturday morning back home as China is 13 hours ahead of EST. Our friends, Dave and Kelly, drove us to the airport Friday afternoon. We checked in and chatted briefly with the lady behind the counter about adoption. Part of me was hoping that she might be so moved by our story that she would bump us up to business class...guess our story wasn't "moving" enough. Bummer! Charlie marched though security with his own passport like a pro. He took off his coat, shoes, backpack, placed them all in the bucket to be screened, all the while amusing the older couple waiting behind us. It's funny to watch him try to be so independent! I was the only one to set off the security buzzer, but none of us had to go through the body scanners! Yahoo! We proceeded on to McDonalds for a chocolate milkshake, walked up and down the moving platforms at Charlie's request, and then got ready to board the plane.
Aside from our individual tv screens not being able to play movies, all went well. But for that "inconvenience," we earned some extra air miles. We were served two meals, a snack, and with the help of some sleep aids, (love Triaminic PM for kids!), we were able to get quite a bit of sleep. Note to time I need to pack something for my restless legs...took me a little extra time to get comfy! Oh, yeah. The individual screens that are on the headrests...well, they have touch screens...with games. Can you imagine how hard it is to try to sleep with a lady behind you banging on the headrest, playing games? Ummm...I tried. Really, I did. But I finally had to sit up and ask her to please stop so I could try to sleep. She was Chinese...charades came in handy.
So, we landed and headed to security. This was quite a chuckle. We were in line, and an officer motioned for the three of us to come to a new line. Only us. Maybe because we were a family with a young child? Anyway, we get to the officer's check point and hand him our passports. We smile...'cause, ya know, it can't hurt. He looks at us, and then at Char. And then at us...and then at Char. And stares. (We're getting used to this again). He stamps Jamie's passport, and then mine, and then stands up and stares at Charlie. He looks again at Char's passport and says, "Taiwan?" Then he stamps his passport, too, and we move on. It was funny! But he wasn't the last one to stare...oh, no. Another man was standing near us...staring...a lot...and even tilted his head to the side as if he just couldn't figure out how this was working. Asian child...caucasian parents...hmmmm...
Pretty quickly, we piled into the car that the hotel had sent to pick us up from the airport. A Mercedes, no less! It was a smooth ride to the hotel, we checked in, Char was given a lolli, and they sent nuts and icecream to our room for a snack. We slept well...until 3AM. Then we were all awake. We tried to go back to sleep, but to no we finally got up at 4:30. We're heading to breakfast now, and will fly to Chongqing around lunch time. Thank you for your prayers...all is going great!


Cheryl said...

I can just picture independent Charlie! You make a lot of us smile, Char. :)

Keeping you all close in heart and prayer. So excited to meet Jenna!! HUGS

Sugar Momma said...

Yay! So glad you didn't have to go through the body scanner. Glad everything is going smoothly and a!

Can't wait to hear more :)

Kathy R. said...

Hi Angie, Jamie & Charlie,
We're so happy you made it to China! Hooray! Very exciting--you're so close to Jenna now :) Best of luck on Gotcha Day!
Love & Hugs, Kathy, Dave, Abby & Terri

Kam said...

Woo hoo! I'm hanging on every word!

Jenny said...

YAY!!!! One step closer!! Cannot wait to see you all with Jenna. Praying for you!!! :)

Chrissy said...

So glad you are there! Cannot wait for Monday & those pictures of you all together.

Lots of hugs,

Lori said...

So glad you made it safely! Cute, cute stories!