Monday, April 18, 2011

Finding the Joy

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks;

for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.


Paul wrote these words to believers in Thessalonica, and believers everywhere.

Obviously, they are for us today, as is the entire Word of God (the Bible).


I've heard and read these words from Paul so many times that I start to take them for granted.

Oh, yeah...I've heard those verses so many times. Great, aren't they?

Sure...until I have to apply them to my life.


See, there aren't any subsequent verses that say...unless you have a really rough day. Or, unless someone really offends you. Or, unless you just don't think you're in the mood.


Nope. I'm supposed to find joy and give thanks ALWAYS.


That said, last week was tough, and circumstances are not quite resolved. But here I go, reminding myself that joy and thankfulness lurk within these circumstances...even if I have to go digging.


*I'm thankful my husband will come home tonight after being gone on a father/son vacation (during this crazy time) to support us all. I'm blessed to have him.

*Thankful for nurses that are gentle, quick, and compassionate while doing invasive procedures on sweet little Laura.

*Thankful that I live in a country where medical care is minutes away...not days, and that medicine in sitting on my shelves, just in case.

*Humbled when I think of the approximately 26,000 children that will die today (& each day) because they do not have proper medical care. Ouch...that one hurt.

*Thankful Laura is eating, drinking, and sleeping again.

*Thankful for children who were patient and quiet during medical exams.

*Thankful for friends and family that check in to see how we're doing.

*Thankful for friends that insist we call them first for help.

*Thankful for young ladies that grab hold of my little Laura to snuggle during church.

*Thankful the kids were all healthy enough to watch Amarin's theatrical debut in a church musical.

*Joyful for Amarin as he bravely said his lines on stage without the security of his big brother by his side.

*Happy to hear the laughter from 3 of my kids playing nicely together.

*Joyful as I watch the (abominable) snow melting on the roads and not sticking.


When I stop and think about it, I have way too much to be thankful and joyful for to be complaining. Oh, yeah. Paul touched on that subject, too, didn't he?


Philippians 2:14 Do all things without grumbling or complaining.


Guess I'd better work on a change of heart.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh I am praying!!! Thankful for your heart for your kids and your patience. I am praying.

Kristin said...

Saying some prayers for you all this week. Thank you for the timely reminder to be joyful always.

Myranda said...

Thanks Miss. Millir for letting me hold Laura on Sunday night... I Enjoyed ever second of it....no no every millisecond! I Love Laura she is soooo sweet!

amyhusted said...

This was a very helpful verse for me today as I'm struggling to keep my children from getting distracted from their studies. (Way too much to accomplish today for distractions or lack of participation. However, I am thankful that I can homeschool my children and they are healthy to be jumping around.

Thanks again for sharing. :) Happy Easter to all of you.