Friday, July 8, 2011

Popcorn Predicament

We love popcorn. It's a special snack, usually denoting that it's time for a movie or some game playing.



HOWEVER...we can't eat it just yet. But I want to be ready when the dr. gives the go ahead to add corn back to our diet.


Here's my predicament. We've always used microwave popcorn. But I'm not using it anymore because it's filled with so many bad, bad things. I know popcorn can actually be a pretty healthy snack if done properly...OK...not raw veggie healthy...but not like a bowl of icecream, either!


So here, bloggy friends, is where you come in to help. How do you cook your popcorn? What device do you use? Airpopper? Metal, twirly pan on the stove? Do share so this deprived grain family will be ready!!

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

My favorite way is with the little twirly metal wire in my popcorn pan on the stove with a little bit of oil. In college, air popped corn was the rage, but honestly, we likened it to eating styrofoam packing peanuts - so tasteless and bland is all I can remember.

Kristin said...

I learned to make it on the stove from this post:
http://amysfinerthings.com/how-to-pop-popcorn-on-the-stove
It's a lot less expensive than the microwave kind, too.

Karate Mom said...

Come on over and we'll show you how to make delicious, healthy popcorn on the stove top in our stainless pan! Brian is the expert in our house and he taught me, his father taught him :) Brian uses vegetable oil. I use palm oil and like it much better. As a matter of fact I brought some palm oil along on my trip and will be making some healthy popcorn for my sister today!

amyhusted said...

Oh coconut oil is by far the best. We have a Mickey Mouse Popcorn Maker that we use but on the stove works just as well. Good luck finding corn without Aflotoxins and when you find it let me know. :)

Sally-Girl! said...

Airpopper only way to go!!

Chrissy said...

I love our microwave popcorn popper. It's a plastic thingy that you put regular popcorn and oil into and put it in the microwave. You control the amount of oil and the amount of salt you put into it. Mine is from WM but Amazon also carries them.