Wednesday, October 26, 2011

What's Cookin' Wednesday?

It's Wednesday! Time to share a favorite recipe.

It all started with 2 little pumpkins. I'd never cooked pumpkin before. I just bought the cans, which worked fine, and never thought any more about it. But I read how healthy pumpkin is, so I bought two little baking pumpkins, threw them in the oven for an hour, and voila! I had cooked pumpkin. A lot...of cooked pumpkin. I did want to eat some of it mashed with butter, salt, and pepper. But I needed to use it in another way, too.


I found this AWESOME recipe for pumpkin bars on the F**dnetwork website.



I had to make some changes so we could all enjoy it, and it turned out really, really good. As a matter of fact, Charlie wants me to make it for his birthday this Sunday. And I think it turned out more like cake than bars.


Here are the changes I made:

1. I used fresh pumpkin.

2. I didn't put icing on it.

3. I used brown rice flour instead of all-purpose (same measurement).

4. I used 1 1/4 cup honey instead of sugar.

5. I cut the oil down to 10 tablespoons (because I used honey and it would have been to soupy with all the liquid).


Looking forward to eating it again this weekend!!

2 comments:

AJ said...

I am going to try this it sounds yummy

Kristin said...

Yum! I think I'll try it with coconut oil. I might even try baking some pumpkin since a 15 oz. can is running about $2 here.