Wednesday, October 19, 2011

What's Cookin' Wednesday?

I'm going to try something new on Wednesdays. I'm inspired by my friend, Kristin, who shares some wonderful recipes, frugal tips, and a knack for being organized. However, her very yummy sounding food is not always on our diet radar. I'm bummed. The Snickers Cheesecake sounds good enough to devour in one sitting...by myself.


My plan is to share, each Wednesday, a recipe that we love and that follows our diet.

Note: I'm not on a soap-box, but just sharing what we've learned these past months and have seen obvious health improvements. Every family needs to eat the way they feel comfortable.

To begin with, corn products and sugars (minus a little honey) are big no-nos here. Not to say that we don't have the occassional bowl (or two) of popcorn or the sweet treat, but it's rare, and totally off limits for Charlie & Jenna. And we have seen tremendous health improvements in both of them because of it. I have to read ingredients on everything...no corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, dextrose, dextrin, maltodextrin, corn starch, sorbitol, vegetable starches, vegetable oils, fake sugars (which are just a bunch of chemicals anyway that shouldn't be part of a diet), margarine (would you munch on a plastic bowl? It's one chemical concoction away), sugar, brown sugar, white grains, etc.


It's amazing what's in the food on the shelf, and how much of it we can't eat. I heard once that if you want to eat healthy, shop for your groceries on the outside walls and stay out of the middle aisles. True. There are some aisles that I don't even bother with anymore.

That all said, here's a recipe I just tried yesterday and we all loved it for a snack!

Chewy Granola Bars

1/2 cup nut or seed butter

1/3 cup honey

1/4 cup coconut oil

1 cup oats

1 cup a combination of your favorites: shredded coconut, nuts, seeds, etc.

Melt nut/seed butter in a saucepan along with the oil and honey. Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients. Pour and press into an 8x8 or 9x4 pan and chill for two hours. Cut into bars, wrap individually in plastic wrap, and store in the refrigerator for a quick, healthy snack.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I'm so glad you're sharing more about what you've learned. We are just at the start of our attempts to eat healthier and I can use all the inspiration I can get! I think my girls would really like this recipe.(However, I may still have to find a way to smuggle you a piece of that cheesecake!)