Tuesday, November 8, 2011

So, we're moving...

Yes, we are moving. By now, family and friends know that you NEVER write our address in your book with pen. Because we don't seem to stay in one place for very long. However, if pencil is used, a hole is probably worn from erasing so much. We have owned this home for 6 years, and this is the longest we've been in one place. Yep. And we've been married 17 years. Lots of moves. Lots of changes. Lots of fond memories. Lots of adventures. It's a good thing we both embrace change and adventure!


But the process of moving is never one of my favorite things. It's that limbo state...getting info on the new area, while keeping things "normal" at home, making appts. to get the house in order, while trying to find a new home, purging the house of unused stuff...again. Ugh. It's enough to jumble a brain. We keep telling ourselves...one day at a time...just one day at a time.


The past 6 days were spent on the road mostly...driving to the new hometown, visiting schools, familiarizing ourselves with the area, looking at houses. Whoever decided to put DVD players in vans...you are one of my favorite people of all time! The kids were troopers, and actually enjoyed visiting schools and house-hunting. Might I add that our realtor is very kind taking a family of 7 house-hunting? And I wonder how many potential neighbors hit the floor praying that 5 children would not move in next door? I can just see them peeking out their windows..."Oh, no. Not that family!"


But it was a good trip, and I think we found a school for Laura. I had anticipated only seeing two schools. Not many options for children with Laura's needs. We visited the first school, and before I could say anything in the van, Jacob said, "Mom, I don't feel right about this school." I agreed. I didn't know why exactly, but I just didn't have a peace about it. So, off to school #2...praying this would be THE school. It was my last option. Nope. Again, not sure why I didn't have a peace about it, but I didn't. Maybe I was basing it on what she had now...and that was going to be tough to beat!


I decided to call another school that I originally tossed out of the mix, and lo-and-behold, they could get me in that afternoon for a look-see. And the principal toured us, too. Peace! I knew this was the right school for her, even though the teacher wasn't even there...out sick. We went back yesterday to meet the teacher before heading home, and she was wonderful...introducing the other students, showing me how they use the Ipad (I'm so out of it!), and almost all the kids had a one-on-one aide. They mainstream with age appropriate peers for art, music, and lunch. And the best part? Before we left, Laura had already made a little friend. They were giggling together as the smacked the Ipad to watch the pictures change. The little girl was Laura's height, and seemed to be on the same level as Laura. She even tried following Laura out of the room, while Laura was waving and smiling back at her. So sweet!


We left feeling like we had accomplished something and it was a good feeling.

7 comments:

Momma Bradley said...

I am so glad that you found a school! We will miss Laura so much!! Best of luck on your next adventure.

Karrie said...

Hi Angie.
We live in the midwest, too, in Southern Indiana, right outside Louisville. I know how stressful moving is. Hoping you get settled in quickly and that your new town feels like home soon. Let me know if you are moving nearby. I'd love to have you and your 5 kids as neighbors!! :)

Kristin said...

There's an empty house right down the street... just saying! We'll be praying for a smooth transition for all of you.

ahusted said...

I'm so excited for you all. What an adventure you are about to partake in and the journey that God is guiding you through. So happy you found a school for Laura, too!!!

Jenny said...

Will you be closer to us??? :)

Sugar Momma said...

Tell me your in Texas, tell me your in Texas!! As for moving, we know what you mean! We have been in the same state but we have lived in 8 different homes in 19 years of marriage :) I wish I could say my packing has improved with time. I still stink at it! Happy Laura found a school that you trust, so very imporatant!

Sally-Girl! said...

Oh our lives parallel right now as we get ready to move too. It is so stressful. The school issue has been the hardest for me given Bryson and Gracie's needs. I am looking at it all as our next big adventure!!

Sounds like you are still maintaining a lifestyle change in your family's diet. Mine has been going awesome!! I have never felt better!