Thursday, April 12, 2012

40 & 12

40 & 12. Those are the most recent milestones at our house over the past two days.
12 sounds pretty fun. 40 just sounds old.
But it's a good old. I'm happy. How could I not be? Just look at this crew!


They are so much fun and make me so happy.


As will this zero-gravity chair when I need to catch my breath!


Jacob's birthday is the day after mine. (Yes, I was in labor on my birthday 12 years ago!)
He started his day with a favorite...cinnamon roll!
Anything "food" is good.


That night, he wanted to eat at Joe's Cr@b Sh@ck.
Food. It's all good.

He was appalled at the idea of having to wear a chicken hat, and stand up to do the chicken dance with the waitresses. He said, "No, thank you," and just let them sing Happy Birthday.
Can't say I blame the kid.


Finally...he got to open presents. So hard waiting all day!
Laura & Jenna gave him animal crackers. Jenna was actually jumping and dancing when he opened them. I think she thought he was going to share right then. Bummer.



Grandma sent him a new homemade blanket. Can you tell he loved it?
The younger kids thought she actually drew the pictures!

Amarin & Char got him a car book. He's into cars right now...sports cars, antiques, classics...

He was surprised to get the Wii game he has been wanting.
Of course it's St@r W@rs!


The most fun gift to give was his new William Wallace sword. He has been drooling over this thing for the longest time. He was way, way excited!


12 years old...my, oh, my.
He wanted an icecream cake, too. Amarin and Char made it, while Miss Jenna "supervised."


But the best gift???? Surprising him with a visit from his best buddy and family. They were supposed to arrive the afternoon of his birthday, but circumstances delayed them until almost midnight. They called from about 5 minutes away. I woke up Jacob and told him that I had forgotten a present and he needed to come downstairs to get it. He stared blankly and I wasn't sure if he would get up or not! But he did, and a few minutes later his friend pulled in the driveway. His smile was from ear to ear when he finally realized who it was. Even after staying up until almost 2AM, I could still hear them chattering and laughing downstairs in their sleeping bags. Friends. So thankful.


"This is the best birthday ever, Mom." Yeah...I think so, too.

5 comments:

Kristin said...

Time flies! Jacob's birthday really does sound like the best! We're getting ready to celebrate 13 (Annilea) and 16 (Avery)in June. I'm thinking I'm not ready for this!

Cheryl said...

How are you going to beat this and measure up when Jacob turns the big 13 - a teenager?! Looks like tons of fun.

BTW - 40 is definitely NOT old. Even the next milestone isn't too bad...speaking from experience. Hehehe! :)

We all know that each and every day the Lord gives us to live for Him and serve Him is good.

Tara said...

Happy Birthday to you and your beautiful boy!

ahusted said...

Happy, Happy, Happy Belated Birthday to both of you!!! {{{Hugs}}}

So glad to see you guys having a great time and with new friends. So great that Jacob was able to visit for his birthday. :)

Jay and Chandra and Penny Regan said...

Congrats on the big 4-0! Mine came the year we brought Penny home. And it just so happened that it was the same day that Jay was told he'd be losing his teaching job. So, it was definitely unforgettable. Hope all is going well for you in your new home. Now that I'm in my forties I notice I'm starting to have a little trouble focusing on the small print with my distance glasses. Uh-oh! Maybe just a few good years left. Ha! The best is yet to come, right?