Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Mouse

This doesn't look like much of a picture, does it?
Just dry, burned up grass from our backyard.
It's one of those times I kick myself for not having my camera handy to capture the drama as it unfolds.
 
But see that light brown, loose dirt?
There lies a mole.  And his story is one to remember.  
Well, maybe the way he got there is more of the memory we want.


A couple weeks ago, we had friends over for dinner and a movie.
The boys and girls were downstairs playing while we adults chatted in the kitchen, preparing dinner...er...opening up pizza boxes.

Suddenly, the screams came upstairs, making us aware that there was a mouse (mole) in the basement!
Actually, he was in the window well outside.  Phew!
The kids scrambled outside as Jacob ran to find his BB gun.
Jamie unlocked it for him, and out went our big game hunter to save the day.

The scene was hilarious.  Jacob was standing, gun pointed down into the window well.
The kids were crowding around waiting to see what would happen.
I was wondering why no one was worried that our window was about to possibly be pelted with bbs.

Well, our big game hunter got him...twice.  Gross.
The kids squealed.  They were excited.  Weird.
They ran off to get a shovel to properly bury this little guy.

And as they're buried him, we heard singing.

" So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it some day for a crown."

Well, I guess he had a proper burial.  
R.I.P., little guy.
And we have one more story to look back on with friends and laugh.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I can't wait for Avery to read this! He had a similar experience, but with a snake.

Michelle said...

Oh.my.word! Hysterical!