Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A New Year, A New Outlook

Happy New Year, and may my bloggy readers have a very blessed 2013!

I know some of you are already planning big adventures in the upcoming weeks and months
...to bring home more children so they are no longer orphans,
...to go and serve those in need around the world,
...to move to new countries to lead others to Christ,
...to start anew right in your own backyard.
What an exciting way to start a new year!

Over the past week or so, our family has been discussing the events of 2012.
It was a year of great change for us...moving to a new state, a new job, a new church, new friends...just about new everything.  With those changes came excitement, changed commitments, challenges, and growth. Yesterday, the check-out lady at the grocery store wished me a better 2012.  My reply to her was that we were so blessed in 2012, that if 2013 were even better, it will surely be a great year!  I dare say, she was a bit taken aback.

 But, 2012 was also a year of witnessing heartache and nonsense in our world...natural disasters, moral decay in our nation, government mayhem, death of loved ones, unspeakable and recent crimes, and, near and dear to our hearts, the continued plight of the orphan.  
(Anyone know where I can get a bigger van)?  :)

As a family, we have decided to not ignore these things or keep our children from knowing appropriate information, but we try to act and pray.  How easy it would be to hide in our safe, warm home, and pretend that all is good and right with the world.  We could shelter ourselves and our children, and just move forward with our own lives and agenda...do school, go shopping, play with our toys, etc.  That would be comfortable.

But is that living?  Pretending to be oblivious and remaining status quo?
I desire more...for me, for my family, and for others.
I want to make a difference in things that matter eternally.

So, as a family, we're starting to set both individual and family goals for 2013.  At the end of 2013, we want to look back and see change, not complacency.  Increased service, not indifference.
 The hardest part in all of this for me, is not knowing what that will entail, and being patient to allow God to show us where we're headed.  I'm a planner.  I'd like to know everything upfront, please.

But, wouldn't you know it, for my first devotional reading of the year...Joshua 1-5.
Yep.  God knew what I needed to hear.
...be strong and very courageous.
...do not turn to the right or to the left.
...no one can stand against me (when I walk in obedience).
...God is always with me and will not forsake me.
...obedience brings success and prosperity (not necessarily in a worldly view).
...I should expect miracles that will show God's might, and so I will revere Him more.
...He will always provide for my needs.

I'm ready for some excitement and adventures, and I can't wait to see what God has planned for us this year.  How about you?

2 comments:

Jay and Chandra and Penny Regan said...

Great Post, Angie! I love how you're always wanting to hear God's voice and follow His heart. May 2013 be such a year; that more and more people will truly want to know God, the joy of His presence and sharing Him with others! We, too, went through so many changes that we never could have imagined. But, it was God that led us and sustained us through it all. He is so full of surprises, isn't He? What has He got planned for us this year?! It'll be exciting to see!

Karin said...

What a great post, Angie! You are so right. We need to be salt and light. Hope you have a wonderful 2013!