Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Matched!

Yep...I bet I wouldn't be able to count how many of my adoption friends read that post title and thought we were headed back to China!  Gotcha!

In reality, Laura has been matched with a new service dog and we will meet him very, very soon.  He is a golden doodle named Banshee.  He has worked in prisons, schools, and attended university.  What a smart little guy!  We have already met his foster moms online, and I sure hope we get to meet them in person.

I showed Laura his picture this morning before school.  She leaned in closely to look, and then got a big grin on her face.  I wonder if she understands.  

Funny story...I shared with Charlie and Jenna that Banshee had spent time in prison.  They both were silent (which in itself is astounding), mouths open, and huge eyes.  It was hilarious! They probably were scared that another being in the house might conquer their level of mischief.

We will try to change his name to Gus because that is one of the sounds that Laura can say well.  It would be great if she could call her dog.  Banshee/Gus will be able to detect seizures, retrieve objects, and be tethered to Laura so she can have some independence while we are out and about.  It is said that he loves to play ball.  Laura should enjoy this as she throws balls all the time, not in our direction, and grins until we "fetch it" for her.  Perhaps her new BFF can play this game now.  I'm sure there is so much more I could share about him, but my mind is reeling with all that needs to get done before I leave to meet this new family member.

So, without further delay...our newest family member...


3 comments:

ahusted said...

Congratulations Happy Family!

Traci said...

My daughter, Olivia, is one of Banshee's foster moms. He is just the sweetest dog on the planet. A big, lovable goofball. We adore him. You are one lucky family to get matched with such a great dog! We are so sad to see him leave, but knowing that he will be helping Laura makes it a little easier to say goodbye! I know he will take great care of her. Please keep us posted about their progress! Traci

Traci said...

My daughter, Olivia, is one of Banshee's foster moms. He is just the sweetest dog on the planet! A big, lovable goofball. We adore him. You are one lucky family to be matched with such a wonderful assistance dog. We are so sad to see him go, but knowing he will be helping Laura live a fuller life makes saying goodbye a little easier! I know he will take great care of her. Please keep us posted on their progress! Traci