Friday, December 6, 2013

St. Nicholas Day

 We first learned of St. Nicholas Day when we lived in Europe.  I didn't know then that it actually was more than just a fictitious character, leading to today's Santa Claus.  There really was a St. Nicholas, and this has become one of our family traditions on the eve of December 5th.
First, we read this book.
Then, as they do in Europe, the kids leave a shoe by their bedroom door.
In the morning, they find little treats inside!

Here are Jenna and Laura's...
 Amarin and Charlie's...
and Jacob's.  Yes.  He's quite the comedian.
Much to his dismay, not ALL his shoes contained treats in the morning!


3 comments:

RamblingMother said...

I have to tell you there is another very good reference on St. Nick which you probably have but it is Buck Denver's What is Christmas Anyway? by the creator of Veggie Tales. That may not be the exact title but it is fairly close. We have the book you posted about and the video and it is very helpful to put Christmas in a historical context.

Karin said...

That is hilarious! I'm cracking up at how everyone had one shoe out and then there was a grouping of every shoe Jacob had. LOL!!!

Karin said...

I think I accidentally deleted my last comment. I am cracking up at Jacob's collection of every shoe he owned. hahaha Nice try! :)