
OK...are you like me and get that bored, dazed, far off look in your
eyes when you hear "The Constitution" or "The Bill of Rights" or
"The Declaration of Independence?"
Do you picture a bunch of old, white men with big hair sitting
around the room speaking in "thous" and "thees?"
Is that when you would tune out in history class?
Me, too.
Or it was until I took a class this past week on The Constitution.
I shared with some others ahead of time that I was taking
this class and they looked at me like I had grown another head.
I could so read their mind...
Why on earth would I want to sit in a classroom, from 8AM to noon,
for five days, and listen to someone droan on and on about some ancient
document?
Well, let me tell you...
this was one awesome class. The instructor was very knowledgeable,
had a great sense of humor, and applied these "ancient" documents
to current and recent politics.
Even our two oldest boys sat through the class.
OK...so they were really thankful for the donuts and that
two of their good friends were present.
And I know for a fact that they were REALLY tuned in when
the instructor covered the 8th Amendment prohibiting cruel and
unusual punishment...including dividing body parts...eeewwww!
But still, they were hearing some very important and applicable information.
Seriously, though.
These documents apply today...or at least they should.
I learned more in this past week than in high school and college combined.
We learned the history behind the documents,
on what the laws were based, and a whole lot more information
that I couldn't possibly do justice here.
Actually, it's going to take some time for it all to sort itself in my brain.
And best of all, it made me think and question myself.
It made me consider current legislation, and "laws" that have been
implemented, that aren't actually laws.
It made me realize how much power the national government
has taken from the states, hence, the people.
It made me realize that perhaps that amendment that we think we need
to allow us to do something, might actually take away freedom to
do what we're allowed to do in the first place!
Our forefathers were no dummies,
and those wigs were none too tight!
They had a clear idea of how to keep checks and balances,
and to avoid the kind of government from which they had come.
Believe me...we have strayed in a BIG way for many years
from what they intended.
I've included the website below for Heritage Research Institute.
It would be well worth your time to take a look.
The instructor also gave book recommendations.
You can see some of them on their website
1 comment:
Very cool that you went to the class! It sounds very interesting to me. Now you need to come to New England to see all the places those men lived. :)
Post a Comment