Monday, June 29, 2009

ORPHANS

I really do not like the idea of even having to write a blog like this, but I feel called to do so. If you haven't heard, there is a movie by WarnerBrothers being released in July called ORPHANS. In brief, it is a horror film about a family who adopts an older girl from an orphanage, and there is something "wrong" with her that causes horrible things to happen to their family. I watched part of the trailer and had to shut it off because it was so disturbing. A line in the movie makes mention of how hard it must be to love a child that's not "your own." Anyone who has the slightest link to adoption knows that adopted children are "your own." Genetics do not make a family...love does. And the fact that a motion picture industry would portray orphans in this manner is heartwrenching, though not surprising. Motion picture industries are not largely known for their morality.
There is a website that is making an effort to counter the effects of this movie. The site allows people to post their adoption stories, shares facts about orphans and adoption, provides a petition to be sent to WB, and offers ways to help serve the orphans in our world (not just through adoption). The website is www.orphansdeservebetter.org.
Orphans in our world do deserve better. They have been individually created, as we all have, by our loving God, and He has commanded us to help them (that means it's not an option, in case you weren't clear on that). Check out the verse in James at the top of my blog page. I want to be able to stand in front of God on judgement day knowing that I did all I could with the resources I had to help these children. Believe me....if I had a money tree...I would have as many children as I could get through my front door!
Obviously, I'm urging you all to boycott this movie. But also, and more importantly, urging you to listen to your heart. Is there a way that you could help an orphan somewhere in the world? Maybe it's not through adoption, but through sponsorship, or through donations. Our economy may be bad and finances may not be as strong as they were, but the cry of the orphans is just as loud. And believe me...I've seen it with my own eyes. Our country may be struggling right now, but we have so many more provisions than most other countries. God has blessed us in this country...so what are you going to do with your blessings today?

3 comments:

Adeye said...

Beautifully written! I love the words that you chose to share your heart and passion for orphans.
We will NOT be seeing the movie either!!!

Sugar Momma said...

Oh, we saw the trailer this weekend before a movie in the theater...made my stomach turn. It makes me feel physically sick for them to stoop to that level...of all the things in this world to portray as evil...an orphan. Lord help us.

Michelle said...

This just makes me ill...ill! There are no guarantees when it comes to parenting. It makes me think of the doctor that asked you and Jamie if you would still have adopted Laura knowing that she would have so many difficulties. I'm grateful that you and Jamie have heard this call in your life and go with boldness to answer it. We sponsor a little girl in Uganda...Sophie. Funny thing, that's the name we had picked for our Luke had he been a girl. So, I got my Sophie anyway.