My friend Mickey's blog is private, but she gave me permission to share this letter that she wrote to our president, and I couldn't have said it better myself (which is why I'm sharing her words and not mine). Our country is going down a path it has never seen before, and I have to say that it really puts knots in my stomach. So, without further ado...
Dear Mr. President,
I wanted to thank you for your concern about the civic education of my children. I understand that you have a big speech planned for next week. This speech is going to be televised nationwide....that's quite something. I'm sure you and your speech writers are as busy as bees honing and fine tuning this rather unprecedented oration. While not uncommon for a President to visit a school or address the student body, I don't believe than any of your predecessors have had such an activity put, LIVE, across national airwaves. It's rather exciting, isn't it?? I hope it goes well for you....but my children won't be participating.
While I appreciate your concern for their civic education, I don't need your help, or the government's help with this. I didn't vote for you, Mr. Obama. And before you put your nasty little trump card on the table, the color of your skin/your ethnic heritage had NOTHING to do with my vote. You could have been green with orange polka dots and it wouldn't have mattered. I didn't vote for you because of your ideology. Everything that you hold dear and hold as truth flies in the very face of my own values. I believe that every life is sacred...be it born or unborn. I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman. I believe that my husband has the right to own and purchase firearms. I believe that no good can come from governmental meddling in the private sector. I believe that terrorists should be called just that and shown the same mercy that they showed their victims. I believe that America was founded on Biblical standards, by Christian men. I believe that illegal aliens are not entitled to the same rights as I am as a natural born American or as any other American citizen. I believe that men and woman who are able bodied should work and not be paid for their slothfulness. I could go on, but I think that fleshes out the point quite well.
You raise your girls and I'll raise my boys. Let me be their parent. Let me and my husband teach them what is right and wrong and what their roles are as responsible American citizens. That's not your job....you have your own children to teach. You have a country to run...further into the ground the way you're going. The only way you need to be in my sons' classrooms is as a picture on the wall. What you're trying to do isn't much different that what Hitler did...recruiting for the Nazi party in the German schools. Is that the legacy you want to leave behind? Do you REALLY want people comparing you to Hitler?
Our school system has chosen not to show your broadcast because of an outcry from the parents. My husband and I had already decided that our boys weren't going to participate in the viewing of this broadcast. Just so you know, I don't think that I'd feel any differently if the President were someone more ideologically compatible to my way of thinking. I maintain that it is not the job of the President to instruct my children on what kind of citizens they should be, what is good for this country, what they can do for this country. That's my job. You don't see me coming to Washington and trying to do yours, do you?
You be the President....I'll be the parent.
Thank you...Michelle Stinnett
5 comments:
Amen! Ugh! Thankfullyk, our school system didn't show the speech either (and we live in Massachusetts!!).
Amen, Amen!! Thank you for sharing, Angie. She did say it very well. And it all has may stomach in knots as well. God bless us all.
Blessings~
Thank you for sharing, Angie! Also, thank you "Mickey" for the beautiful letter. More people need to share their concerns as you have. When I first started emailing the President, Senators,... my daughters were very concerned that I would get in trouble. They have since learned that if you value something and/or feel strongly about an issue, you need to protect it and speak up. That is how this nation was founded - let's not wait for someone else to speak up.
Interesting and well written but some of the facts are not entirely correct:
- President George H.W. Bush gave an address to schools nationwide in 1991, from a junior high school in Washington, D.C.
- Ronald Reagan took questions from high school students at the White House in 1986, and the question-and-answer session was broadcast nationally.
OMGoodness! Thank you for sharing. Would love to try and get this letter in the paper. Wow, she was speaking right from my heart.
Post a Comment