Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Blind Side

Jamie and I had a date night....woohoo! Our babysitter is home from college, so she stayed with the kids for a few hours. We saw the movie, The Blind Side, and then went out for dinner. I've wanted to see this movie since I first saw the trailer. And it was worth it...great movie.
If you haven't heard of it, I'll share a little bit. It's actually based on the true story of Michael Oher, a now professional football player. He was a homeless high school student, taken in a by a very wealthy family who lived on the "other side of the tracks." His life turned around, he graduated from high school, and has gone on to play professional football. It is only by God's grace that this young man made it out of the tough life he endured for so long.


There were a few things that I've been pondering since I saw the movie last night...


1. Sometimes, the greatest opportunities present themselves when we're not looking for them...ya know...when we're flying 90 mph to get to our next stop.

2. These opportunities can make us uncomfortable and scared...oh, getting stretched again!

3. Decisions regarding these opportunities are made in faith...believing before seeing.

4. Those decisions may make others uncomfortable, and they question the logic.

5. Logic is not part of faith.

6. Some decisions may cause relationships to be severed. One would question the basis of those relationships.

7. These opportunities make one question his own motives...selfless, or selfish?

The mom in this movie had a passion...a strong passion to help this young man reach his full potential. And because she had such a strong passion, she was able to make a huge difference in a life that many others viewed as worthless, hopeless. And this wasn't just a movie...this is a real life story, friends! So, what's your passion?

5 comments:

Adeye said...

I absolutely LOVED the movie too, my friend. I can't wait to own it. Loved every minute of it. Yep, passionate she was--I loved that.

Melanie said...

Hi...Love your comment about the movie. we jsut saw it last night and it was a tear jerker. Afterwards, God really spoke to me about the fact that it is the seemingly small things we do that count! I always thought I was not doing what I should be doing for God and that I should be involved in a ministry-praying for people...doing more for God. I don't want to get to Heaven and then not have anything to say for myself when Jesus asks me "what did I do for Him?" Anyway, then God jsut sort of showed up and spoke to me that I am doing what He has called me to do! I am serving Him through my family, through adoption and the most important thing we can do is invest in the lives of others. That is what counts to God! Love the movie and I love your thoughts on it. Adoption and reaching out to orphans does not make sense to many people. Especially when you have a large family.

Cheryl said...

Great thoughts, Angie. I definitely want to see this one. I have only heard good things about it.
*p.s. - I am glad that your babysitter is home, too! ;-)

Sugar Momma said...

Totally loved this movie!!

I so enjoyed seeing the real life photos at the end...did those not just make your heart fill with joy?

I totally get the relationship strain with adoption...the cool thing is..all those that questioned not only our sanity but our financial comittment with adoption ended up falling head over heals with our girls...so not only did God move our hearts he softened those hearts of our extended family as well...so essentially he did a big number on all of us with two precious little girls :)

My passion is first and foremost living God's will...and being close enough to Him to even be in tune to what that may be. I feel confident he has given me the passion and heart for orphans. I am truly in love with the idea of raising a huge family of His children in my heart and home. But, if that isn't what He has for me maybe I can have a wall full of sponsored children...I am good with that too :)

My temporary passion (hopefully) to support my biggest passion has to be to get out of debt...hello Dave Ramsey...again.

Love that you had date night. Good for you guys :)

Kam said...

I've wanted to see this for weeks and just haven't gotten to. So glad to hear your perspective! I'm getting all caught up tonight...off to see how your Christmas was!