Monday, December 7, 2009

What a week...

and it's only Monday. This is a very busy week for Jamie, so I'm doing double duty...no problem...I'm thankful he has such a great job! And double duty-ing is usually not an issue, unless it's a week like this has been, and it's only just beginning!
It started last night with Charlie. We had our gas fireplace going...ya know...the whole cozy, Christmas spirit and all. All of a sudden I heard a scream...Charlie. He came running with his hands outstretched to me. He had touched the glass which was really, really hot. Cold water and compresses were applied, screams subsided, and a couple little blisters appeared...2nd degree burns from what I've read. He didn't want to touch anything last night because his hands hurt too much. Thankfully this morning, the blisters did not look worse, and his hands didn't hurt anymore. I'm hoping this is a lesson learned, albight the really hard way, poor thing!
So, this A.M. we're off to our homeschool group. All the kids are in their classes, and Jacob is in his first class, and favorite...sports! About half way through, one of the moms come to tell me that Jacob doesn't feel well and asked for me. Hmmm...So I head down not really concerned, but wondering why Jacob wanted me. By the time I got into the classroom, he's standing in the middle of the room, horribly pale and clammy, telling me that he can't see anything...it's all white and blurry...and then he starts gasping for breath...blue around the lips, and leaning into my arms. Not sure if panic mode or survival mode kicked in, but I told someone to call 911. After what seemed forever...probably a couple minutes...he started breathing normally and his vision normalized. We sat him by a window to get fresh air, and that seemed to help. By the time the paramedics arrived, he was feeling much better, and his vitals checked out fine. Jacob was able to give the paramedics his name, address, and phone number, along with asking them what organ is on his lower left side, because he knows the liver is on the lower right side. The paramedics laughed and said he probably knew anatomy better than they did. That made me feel very comforted.
Apparently, Jacob had run into a fussball table and either got the wind knocked out of him or his body went into shock...the paramedics weren't sure. I decided he didn't need an ambulance ride. He sat with me during 2nd hour, and then returned to give a speech during 3rd hour. Now he's playing fine, eating well...like nothing happened.
Me? I think I aged 10 more years...
The kids? I think I'm going to put them all in an accident-proof bubble until I normalize.
How many more days in this week?????

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

"Comforted" hearing your 9 year old may know anatomy better than paramedics? Really? *raised eyebrows*
So glad he's feeling better. Praying for the rest of the week to go better. What a blessing to be able to "be there" for your kids!

Adeye said...

Oh my gosh--what a way to start your week. Wow. The joys of having kids, huh? You just never know what every day will bring. I am trusting with you that the rest of the week goes wayyyyy smoother, friend.

Love you!

amyhusted said...

Yikes! Okay, I would have been crying after all that because I would have been so relieved and thankful. Kids aren't supposed to scare their Mom's like that. Wow!! God bless you all!

connib said...

So glad Jacob is doing ok. I thought about calling Monday night but I then realized it was 11:30. Aren't you glad I didn't?

Karin said...

Oh wow...that is a rocky start to the week. Hope it got better!! :)