Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Nothin'

I got nothin'. Nothin' to blog of huge interest.
Writer's block?
Maybe.
Or just life without anything major.
And that's not all bad.
We did have an interview yesterday with
our local newspaper.
Our rummage sale for Jenna Mei's
adoption is one week from Saturday.
So, this Thursday, our family will be featured,
along with the details of our adoption
and rummage sale.
We're praying for a great turnout.
We obviously hope to raise decent funds,
but also raise awareness about the orphans
around the world.
They need families desperately.
I've cleaned out my house big time for this sale.
I can't believe how much we had sitting around,
that hadn't been used in several years.
And that was my criterion.
If it's not been used...it's outta here!
But the sad thing...
you could walk into my home and never know
we got rid of anything.
Shoot...I walk into my own house and wonder
what I got rid of because it's still chocked full of stuff.
Jacob asked me why I was getting rid of certain items.
"Why? Because Jenna's more important."
And because things don't matter.
People matter.
Following God's plan matters.
And God has never uttered a word about
how important material things are.
As a matter of fact,
He tells us that we're to cling to Him,
not material possessions...not yearn for the
latest clothing styles...or the latest gadget.
About 4 weeks ago, my microwave bit the dust.
Everything on it still works except the heating element.
And that's kind of important.
I went into temporary panic mode.
But ya know,
we've survived without it.
I've lived without my microwave popcorn. Barely.
I've managed to dig out pans to reheat food. Totally old fashioned.
And the days that I forget (wink) to take something
out of the freezer for dinner...
we eat sandwiches, or beans and rice.
And we're fine. And no one complains.
Jamie did bring home a small microwave last night
so I could have my popcorn again, and reheat a little
more easily.
We'll get a replacement sometime.
But I guess my point is,
we can do without so much more than we think we can.
And if by scaling back, we can help someone else,
why not?
Have you made changes or "cleaned out"
in order to help someone or some cause?
Leave a comment and share!

4 comments:

amyhusted said...

Can't wait to see the newspaper article! Cleaning, removing, taking to good will and those in need is part of my monthly tasks. Clutter is not only in our homes but lives in our (my) head. I feel simpler is better but it's not always simple to get it out, but we just keep on plugging.

Cari said...

How cool to be able to get some publicity through the newspaper. I'll be praying that your sale goes very well.

Jean said...

I am so trying to clean out! It is always on the list but we never quite get to it!

We have a storage space not even at our house filled with "stuff". Okay it was my Mom's and I have an unusual attachment to it because it was my MOM's and she always thought it was worth so much but it isn't worth that much. People are what is important not stuff..

My older children "go shopping" in our storage room when they need something!

I will be purging someday!

Susan said...

We cleaned out quite a bit and used the stuff in our silent auction for Alyssa's Service Dog. We have now raised enough money, and our house is more cleaned out! YEA!!!
I have been following your family's blog throughout your "4 Paws" experience and beyond. You are in my prayers. Good luck during your garage sale and throughout your adoption journey.
Susan Lee
www.caringbridge.org/visit/alyssagracelee