I have so much to post, and I haven't had much access to my computer for a couple days. Talk about blog withdrawl!! But I finally have the chance to share a bit (while I'm listening to the ocean waves...yippee!).
So, yesterday was a great day. It started with a field trip. We belong to a homeschool co-op in our area, and I am in charge of planning the field trips for the year. It's only 8 field trips, but sometimes it feels like 88. And sometimes I'm ready to pass the baton to another person, but then we have a field trip like we did on Friday...
Each semester, I plan one service oriented/missions field trip. Our group has helped sort and pack Christian literature to be sent overseas and helped a non-profit organization sort medical supplies for missionaries and pastors both locally and overseas. Well, yesterday, we worked at a shelter that helps people "get back on track." Many of these men and women have addictions, and this organization puts them on a one to three year program to help get them back into society as a self-sufficient, working individual...or family, as in some cases.
It was amazing to hear some of the stories, and how the community has come together to help this center. For example, we've all heard the bashing of Walm*rt. Well, it was Walm*rt that donated more than 60 bunk beds, mattresses and linens to this center. And it was Art V*n, that also donated bunk beds. Individuals with amazing artistic talent have painted beautiful murals on the walls just to brighten it up for the women and children. There are men working there right now to put in new ceiling tiles, (and a couple other things I can't remember) in the men's living quarters. One of the directors of this center got on the radio and said that they were low on toilet paper. You should see the toilet paper that was donated! And their food pantries and freezers...full to overflowing! Get this....this center serves 3 meals a day, 365 days per year. Do you know what their food budget is for the year? Less than $800. YES...less than $800 A YEAR! That's because they have so many food donations. And we're not talkin' junk food...we served up really good food yesterday from really nice stores where I don't even shop!
And clothes for these people (that usually come in with nothing)? All donated. Used, yes...but free and very nice. I could just go on and on about this center. They are sooooo living the gospel by helping others in need. The individuals in this program have to follow guidelines and meet goals, including each man and woman involved must go to chapel twice per day, and on Sunday to learn how God can help them turn their life around and head back in the right direction. Amazing...just amazing.
We were able to take a tour of the center yesterday, meet a few people, and help out in several ways. Jacob, Amarin, and I chopped veggies, cheese, and pies. Arranged that food, as well as crackers and guacomole into serving dishes. We also washed tables and highchairs. Other families stocked the toilet paper donations, sorted beans, prepared other foods, and fixed chairs in need of nuts and bolts. Since we were headed out of town and had to leave a little early, we didn't get to serve the food...bummer! But, I would love to go back with Jamie and the big boys to serve again.
If you haven't had the opportunity to serve at a center like this, you need to do it. It is not only a huge help to these centers that rely on volunteers, but it immediately helps those in need, helps shine God's light to those who really need to witness it in action, and humbles us to think that we can be so selfish in our own world of abundance, when there are brothers and sisters that have nothing....literally nothing. And the kids? It's a great way for them to witness to others, and to be humbled, seeing true needs instead of selfish desires.
1 comment:
THank you for the inspiration! I have been thinking about this a lot lately.
Post a Comment