Saturday, November 7, 2009

We're outta here!

Ok...so I told you in the last post that we had to leave the center early because we were headed out of town. Yep...and we have arrived. The ocean is beautiful, the sun is shining, the temperature is nowhere near the 23 degrees we experienced Friday morning, and we're having a blast. I'm actually listening to the ocean waves now, staring out the open balcony doors at the ocean, watching cruise ships and sail boards. Sigh...
But getting here last night was just a hoot. We did hit a lot of traffic getting to the airport, adding almost 45 minutes onto the drive time. But we were fine, and had plenty of time.
So, we get near the airport and Amarin starts gasping. This boy LOVES "klung-bins," aka. airplanes. If we heard it once, we heard it 30 times just in the van...gasp....KLUNG-BIN! TWO...THREE...WHITE...TWO MORE! I told Jamie that we could have forgone the big trip, and just parked for a while near the airport! Would have held the same excitement for one of the kids, anyway. And then Charlie starts...KLUNG-BIN! FYI kiddo...you speak English, not Thai!
So, we get into the airport and start checking in...3 bags, 2 carseats, 4 kids, 1 stroller, 5 backpacks...all accounted for. Jamie says, "Man, this sure is different than when I travel by myself for work." Ya think?
The next laugh...we have to send the lady checking us in down the conveyer belt after one of our pieces of luggage. I decided that I wanted to carry Laura's meds in my backpack (liquid, so I had to check with this gal), but wouldn't you know...the bag she tagged first and tossed down the belt held the meds. Charlie says, "Is she going in the airplane?" Hope not. We need to check in a few more things!
Next...we're off to security. Those of you who are also outnumbered adults:kids know the feeling. The lady directing security traffic looked at us and says, "Oh, it's the Brady Bunch." Very funny...if you watched the show you'd know we were missing 2 girls...including one with curls! OK...shoes off, jackets off, empty pockets, backpacks off, fold stroller, take out laptop, stand still, stay close, no...don't run through the security check yet! So, we're FINALLY ready to go through, and another security wise-guy says, "OK, John & Kate plus 8, are you ready?" Ok...you need to learn to count 'cause now we're missing 4 kids!
Jamie and the boys make it through, and when I start through while holding Laura's hand, they look at me like I've grown a 2nd head. I inform them that she can't walk through by herself, and yes, she's wearing her shoes and braces, and they'll have to use their little wand on her. Ya know how they screened her? They wiped her shoes and hands with little wipes, and I'm assuming it was for any residue...okie-dokie!
So, we all get through after what seems to be another hour...shoes back on and tied, backpacks on, jackets on, stroller opened and Laura buckled, laptop returned...and stay close to mom and dad...we're not even to the plane, yet!
More fun...we get to ride the little train to our gate since it's quite a distance. We're greeted by a stewardess heading home. "Are they all your kids?" "Yes, they are." "Are you saints or something?" Honestly, when did 4 kids become cause for sainthood?
So, we make it to the plane after a quick slice of pizza, and board uneventfully. But...then the gasping starts again. Amarin is really geeked about the planes and the runway and the lights. He's making all the noises, showing me with his hands what the planes look like while they fly. Then the take-off...HUGE excitement. Charlie joins in, but decides to not only make the noises and gestures of our plane taking off, but also "crashing" into the window. I'm sure that made the lady across the aisle feel much better as it was obvious that she was very, very nervous about her first flight.
The rest of the evening was quite uneventful. The kids did great on the plane, our baggage all arrived, and then there was the transportation. Just 10 years ago, Jamie and I vacationed in southern Florida. When we arrived, we rented a convertible...way fun in the sun! So, this time as Jamie's walking to our rental, I call out...I think it's the cool, red one! He just kept walking...past the cool, red one, and pulled up in a black mini-van. I laughed, as did a few others waiting for their rentals. Now, all our family will fit into is a minivan...or something of like size. Too funny.
So, that's all for now. There will be more to share, no doubt. After all, both the Brady Bunch and John & Kate had a ton to share, right?

4 comments:

amyhusted said...

OH my gosh. Thanks for the post. Are you sure you guys don't have a show? If you don't you definitely should write for one. Funny stuff, Ang. Funny stuff. The best part about it is that it's your life. How much better could it be? Okay - maybe the convertible would be fun but then you wouldn't hear all the klung-bins. (Did I spell that right?) Have a blast Brady Bunch. Or was that Jon and Kate Plus Eight? {{Smiles}}

Kam said...

Angie, you're so funny! I was eating your story up. So glad you made it safe and sound! Did you wave when you flew over ATL? I think I may have spotted your crew up there~

Adeye said...

Hahahah---I am totally laughing because I soooooo understand!!!!

Okay--so are you at the BEACH???? Can you hear me crying now :(

Megan said...

Being at the beach sounds so great!! I really laughed at this story, Angie! I can't imagine 4 because we get the stares and comments now with 3! Have a great time! I have enjoyed catching up with you and Amarin!

Blessings~