Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Just wondering...

A few thoughts have been going through my mind today as we conquer laundry and chores.
First, what do you all use for chore charts? I've gone from writing them each week, to printing them off the computer each week. That has become tedious and a waste of paper. I'd rather use something that could be reused each week, and easily changed for new chores.
Second, do any of you make your own laundry soap? There's a recipe out there using Borax, and a couple other ingredients, and it's supposed to be really good.
Finally, what kind of homemade gifts do your families make for one another? I'd like the kids to do this, and would like a few ideas to get them started.
Thanks for sharing your ideas!

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Hi Angie, we don't buy gifts for grandparents, we make them each year - well the last couple of years anyway. I buy a canvas (12 x 12 inches) and the kids will each paint a picture.I love these.
One year Khye made a gorgeous little square jewellery box out of coloured icecream sticks (new, not all ready licked clean LOL!!!)And I hot glued a bead on the lid.

I have a photo somewhere of the jewellery box so I will email it to you.

As yet the boys haven't made gifts for eachother so I will be interested in any of your ideas also.

barbara said...

Angie - I make my own laundry soap! I've been using the dry version for about a year and about 2 weeks ago made the liquid - I have a 5 gallon bucket. If you like the smell of laundry soap, you might not like this, because it doesn't smell like anything, even when you add essential oil. But then again, clean laundry probably shouldn't smell like anything - because if it does, it might be dirt or body odor that you're smelling. Perfumes that commercial soaps use aren't good for you. (Personally, I love doing laundry! It's a task that I can see that I've actually accomplished something - ha!) I use the recipe from here --http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm.

I have several books and lots of files on homemade gifts. Why don't you bring the kids over one day and we'll research while they play? I'll even show you my laundry room and soap: o )

Sure hope this 'comment' (cough, cough - book report!) wasn't too long!

Barbara

cathie said...

Hi Angie,

As for the homemade gifts.. don't really know... as for the laundry soap, a lady at curves told me that the amish place on m-24 just south of dryden rd. has a kit to make your own. she said if you were going south on 24 you go just past dryden rd and they are on the right