Is it just me, or do these conversations tend to happen at Walm*rt more often than not? Or, maybe I just spend too much time at Walm*rt. Whichever it may be...here's another funny conversation for you!Sunday is the start of the Chinese New Year celebrations. We've never done much for it, but I thought this year, since we're awaiting little Shasha, and we have two other little ones with Chinese heritage, why not do something? So, we made paper lanterns the other day. And today, I picked up some bamboo chopsticks, made in China, from Walmart.
So, I'm at the checkout and the gal is ringing up my order when she comes across the chopsticks.
"What are you going to do with all those sticks?" she asked.
"We're going to celebrate the Chinese New Year on Sunday, and I thought those would be fun."
She looked at me a little funny, so I added, "Some of our children are Asian, so we're going to have a little celebration."
She replies, "Oh! (like she gets it now) Do they all eat with chopsticks?"
What on earth do you say to that? Nothing clever popped into my head, so I just said, "No, but it sure will be fun trying."
She says, "What did you say you were celebrating? The Chinese Christmas?"
Oh, that sounds wrong for so many reasons!
"No, the Chinese New Year. It's just a little fun thing we're doing," I said trying to leave before it got any more complicated! I still don't think she got it. But at least it gave me another fun blog post!
4 comments:
LOL, unreal hey! We get just as silly conversations here in Australia too!
That is a great example of speaking before thinking... I wouldn't have been able to think up a clever comeback either.
hahahahah....toooooo darn funny :)
Love it!!! Soooo funny...she must have been young. So far we have not had any convo at walmart...just strang looks!
Melanie
Post a Comment