Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Peanut Sauce

Now, before I get too far into this post...I hope I don't offend anyone. If you are easily offended, please don't read on. It's a post about something that happened at the dinner table...something silly...and it landed us all in hysterics.

A little preface. First, we do our best to not swear. My kids think the s-word is "shut up" and that an a** is the donkey from the Christmas story...still not sure why some stories choose to use that word. We even try not to use the word "g*sh" because it is slang for God, and we don't use His name in vain. Nor do we talk silly about bodies. We use the real words, and bodies are private. Period.

Now for the story. I decided to make homemade egg rolls tonight for the first time. So, Jamie went out and bought sweet & sour sauce, peanut sauce, and a couple other sauces that sounded fun. Jacob and Amarin remembered eating the peanut sauce in Thailand, so they were pretty excited to try it again. So, we dished up the egg rolls, some rice, and left over meats from a couple dinners.
Time to pour out the sauces. They were all really good, and Amarin decided he wanted more peanut sauce.
So he says, "More peanuts right here, please," pointing to his chicken drumstick. However, when he said the word "peanuts," the T did not sound. OK...go with me on this...and if you didn't catch it...go back and pronounce it again without the T sound.
Obviously, Charlie and Amarin did not catch it. Jamie, Jacob, and I are sitting there silent and perfectly still. All of sudden Jacob bursts out laughing....really laughing! Jamie and I can't help it and start, and we're laughing so hard because Jacob's laughing so hard, that the younger boys start laughing, too. Funnier still...they had no clue what they were laughing about!
Laughter is so contagious, and when we laugh like this at the dinner table (even if it's not totally appropriate), it makes me so thankful that we have this time together!

6 comments:

Kam said...

What a great story! We've had some similar things happen with Sydney lately. Not sure if you've visited our blog lately...but while we were schooling {at home thank goodness! } she missed the "r" in SHIRT!!! Hysterical. And she's born and bred here! No excuses for her! ha!

Thanks for sharing such a funny story! We really get a kick out of stuff like that!

Adeye said...

Oh my goodness, I had to say the word a few times before I got it :):):) Toooo funny. I think I would have died laughing too.

Hilarious. LOL

amyhusted said...

That is too funny. That will definitely be one that will be talked about in years to come but how awesome it is that you're blogging all this. LOL, LOL, LOL!!!

Karin said...

I'm with Adeye...a little slow--but then cracked up. That is something our family would have done, too. :) Laughter is good medicine. :)

Sugar Momma said...

I think the best part is how the little ones were laughing oblivious to the reason for all the laughing. So true...laughter is contagious. Hey, it beats the tar out of what we are catching at our house :)

Good story :) I love that Jacob tried to keep it under control and no longer could hold it. I mean afterall, it is really funny and so innocent on Amarin's part - how could you not laugh? :)

Cheryl said...

Laughter is good medicine - it said so on the news a couple nights ago. Everyone needs a good hard, gut-busting laugh for about 30 minutes a day. I'm way behind - maybe I need to live at your house!
Thanks for sharing, my friend.