Monday, February 22, 2010

Homemade Laundry Soap

OK...here's my recipe for homemade laundry soap. I received this from the store where I purchased my ingredients, and the website listed is www.tipnut.com.
Happy Washing!
Ingredients:
1/3 bar Fels Naptha soap
1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 cup borax powder
1 large bucket
Grate the soap and put it in a sauce pan. Add 6 cups water and heat it until the soap melts. Add the washing soda and the borax and stir until it is dossolved. Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket. Now add your soap mixture and stir. Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir. Let the soap sit for about 24 hours and it will gel. You use 1/2 cup per load,or 1/4 cup for front loaders.
A Few Notes:
1. The finished soap is not a solid gel. It will be more of a watery gel that has ben accurately described as an "egg noodle soup" look.
2. The soap is a non/low sudsing soap. So, if you don't see suds, that is OK. Suds are not what does the cleaning, it is the ingredients in the soap.
3. If you want your soap to have a scent, you can add 1/2 to 1 ounce of essential oil.
4. The soap does settle in the bucket and you have to give it a stir before you use it. I fill a gallon jug so I can give it a quick shake before pouring it into my machine.

1 comment:

Adeye said...

Thanks, friend. I am definitely going to try that next time. Same ingredients. Love it. Where did you find that fels soap?